Martha Washington's Cherry Bounce
July is here and that means sour cherries are in season. Every year, we bring in Morella cherries from Ohio to use in one of Martha Washington's favorite recipes: Cherry Bounce. While this drink takes time to soak, it is most definitely worth the wait!
1 quart Bassett Town Whiskey
6 cups Morella cherries
Sweet cherry pits (ONLY if Morella cherries are already pitted)
2 cups brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole allspice
1 whole nutmeg, cracked in half
1. If cherries are not yet pitted, remove pits and set aside for later.
2. In a large saucepan combine cherries & brown sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 20 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
4. While the mixture is cooling, place the cherry pits in a bag and crush. We used one of our barrels; however, Martha Washington preferred crushing the "kirnels" with a hatchet.
5. Once the mixture has cooled, pour into a glass jar and add vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, crushed cherry pits and whiskey. Secure the lid and shake to combine ingredients.
6. Soak until desired taste is achieved. This usually takes between 3 and 6 months.
7. When ready, strain into a clean jar through a coffee filter. The bounce will keep for approximately 2 months. Cherries can be reserved for garnishing.